 |
| Nanna and Aunt Miranda! |
 |
| Daddy upholstered the bench. Merry Christmas, Mommy:) |
Bed rest was really putting a damper on things, but the kids were
excited for Christmas time:) I bought a bunch of Christmas books and we
had a lot of fun reading those and this was the first year that Sean had
to put together the tree, since I've always done that and we would
always decorate together. Sometimes there were perks to being on
bedrest;)
A lot of Sean's family came in town, which was awesome! The kids loved hanging out with their aunts and uncles and nanna.
It
was still a pretty difficult time for all of us, with the baby's
welfare just always hanging over our heads, not knowing if she would be
alright. The following is adapted from several journal entries:
"All
that I could do was to give my best efforts (which often meant laying
down on the couch) and trust that it would all work out in the end.
Either God would provide me and my children with help or He wouldn’t.
And either way, He would allow that to work for our long-term good. I
spent essentially 15 weeks with a messy house. I wasn’t able to cook
healthy food like I normally would. My kids didn’t get to go out and
have experiences that would have helped them be happier and to develop
better. Sean and I were stressed to the max and very dejected and had
nothing left to give outside of our family. However, I know that
Heavenly Father was indeed watching over us. He was very aware of our
situation. In fact, I think it most likely that He created the
situation. But, we’ve all learned a lot. Even the kids. I can guarantee
you that they’ll appreciate getting out of the house and spending
quality time with mommy more than they would have before. I’ve obviously
learned a lot and am enjoying regaining freedom as I recover from the
birth. Freedom from stress, freedom to go outside, and so on.
It
was so stressful each week as I would check the fetal viability
statistics. Getting to certain markers meant I could be a little less
stressed, but it was still awful. 34 weeks seemed to be a good marker,
so when we made it that far, it was so good.
Over
Christmas, however, I had to go to the hospital, which, in hindsight
was actually a tender mercy. At a Dr.’s appointment a few days after
Christmas Dr. Harrison was not happy with my progression and sent me to
the hospital. It was very scary. My parents took the kids so Sean was
able to be with me, which was nice because I was definitely freaking
out. They did all sorts of tests and gave me a series of steroid shots
to help her lungs develop in case she was delivered preterm- (which she
wound up being 4 weeks early). I wasn't sure if I was going to leave the
hospital pregnant or not, and if not with a baby to take home or not.
She was weighing in at 5.5 pounds, from what they could tell on the
ultrasound, which is about how much a baby two weeks ahead would weigh,
so that was encouraging. I was able to get released, but spent the next
few weeks even more paranoid than I was before.
For
a few days before Lily was born I was having contractions fairly
regularly, and they were becoming more frequent and more intense. Not
fun! I had a Dr.’s appointment Tuesday morning- Dr. Harrison had been
wanting me to come in weekly for a while by this point. I had started
monitoring and recording when I was having contractions and they were
often 20 minutes apart, but not every time. She said everything looked
fine and that I was still just 1 cm like the week before.
The
rest of the day they were still fairly regular, and growing more
regular, about 20 minutes apart. I texted Sean at 4:06- “Just an FYI- I
had 6 contractions in one hour. I’m not going to call anyone yet but I’m
definitely monitoring the situation.” He said, “K! I have a call at
5:15. So, I’m staying for now, but let me know if it changes.” Me: “Ok.”
And then I started freaking out and literally made myself sick. Sean’s
dad, John, was actually at the house by this point- he was downstairs in
the basement painting. (Nice of him to offer to paint our basement for
us!) Still, I was worried that I was going to have a precipitous labor
(thanks, Damian!) and was freaking out about all of the possible bad
scenarios.
I
texted Sean again at 5:36, “They’re still keeping up and sometimes
closer so it’d probably be a good call to come home sooner rather than
later.” Code for: I’m freaking out that this baby is probably on its
way- come now!”
I
made some dinner for me, the kids, and John. John went back down to
work. Sean got home, maybe around 6:30 or a little after. He went down
and was talking with his dad. John came up and chatted for a bit before
he was about to head out. I had called my dr to see what she thought
about the contractions being closer together- maybe 15 minutes apart-
and she said that she had to tell me to come in. I decided to wait,
since it didn’t seem like she really thought I should, just that it was a
liability kind of thing. About 20 minutes after I had called her, when
Sean and John were in the basement, John had come up to head home. We
were all chatting for a minute and I said, “Sean, I think we need to go
to the hospital. Now.” “Why do you think so?” “Because my water just
broke.” I was sure of it and I became more and more sure. I called my
Dr. to tell her we were for sure on our way. Sean ran around packing up
his stuff (my go bag had been ready for a while, haha). I asked John if
it was ok if he stayed the night to watch the kids- they were already in
bed. He just laughed at me, like ‘duh.’
Luckily
(aka ‘tender mercily’) there was no traffic and Sean was able to
basically do 80 on the freeway to the hospital. He dropped me off, went
to park, and I checked in (stupidest thing ever, the “I’m in labor-
here’s my insurance card” check in crud- even if you’ve
pre-registered!). I explained that I had previously had a precipitous
labor and they did what they could to speed it up, which meant they
checked me into a (very tiny) triage room, which was the first available
room. It was small. My doctor checked me and I was still only 1 cm.
Part of me was wondering if I was going to get sent home, but I think I
knew that because my water had broken that that wasn’t going to happen.
The contractions were getting more regular.
It’s
kind of funny doing this (labor, haha) so many times now. I was
surprised at how much I had forgotten, and yet how much I remembered and
how I was more sure of myself, even if no less nervous for the baby. I
forgot about the colored bands they wrap around my belly to keep track
of the baby’s vitals and my contractions. I forgot about how much water
comes leaking out of you (although I probably had more with this one
than the others since they had to at one point start putting water into
the womb to help the baby have less stress). The triage nurses were
helpful, but I was very relieved when I was finally moved to the labor
and delivery room. Much bigger, less claustrophobic, and they really
knew what to do.
My doctor eventually left the hospital and eventually came back. I just
wasn’t progressing. I told Sean it was fine if he wanted to do work
stuff. I wasn’t good for much- with the contractions and all. Eventually
I requested an epidural. I guess I asked for one right ahead of a bunch
of other women so the Dr was in a hurry. Such a strange feeling. A
pinch, uncontrollable shaking, coldness. And it’s done. Much less scary
the second time around (didn’t get one with Damian!).
I
labored until about 3 in the morning-and then the baby’s heart rate
started to fall when I had a contraction. Dr. Harrison was alerted and
she told me that if things didn’t change that she was going to do a
c-section in half an hour. I freaked out. With how bad the pregnancy was
combined with a c-section I was telling Sean that this could be our
last kid- I wanted more kids but at some point I need to worry about my
health and safety. A c-section would almost seal the deal that this
would be the last. I didn’t want a c-section for lots of other reasons.
All of this compounded with this baby who had been having so much
trouble for months and months now, who was now still having trouble. It
was pretty overwhelming. As soon as the nurse and dr left, I immediately
asked Sean for a blessing. Heavenly Father promised that I wouldn’t
need a c-section, that it would work out and the baby would be born and
would be healthy. Honestly, this was incredibly difficult to believe.
But, I just put it in God’s hands- you say it will work out- I don’t see
how- but, you say it will, so it will work out. I’m still scared, but
I’m going to let it happen how it will. They put me on oxygen, which
seemed to help. But, half an hour passed with the baby not being worse
off and even a little improved. Another half hour, and another. It
seemed that we had escaped the c-section, by the will and grace of God.
Also,
I had called my parents on the ride in to the hospital. I knew they
were teaching institute so I left a voicemail. My mom called back around
9 asking if they should come. I told her they could probably go home
because I was still only at 1 and nothing was really progressing. She
said to call whenever about whatever, haha. So, immediately after
receiving the blessing from Sean, I called my mom and asked for her and
dad to pray for me. It’s amazing and miraculous to me how I just knew
that there could be tangible results from the power of their prayers. I
NEEDED that special power from them, particularly from her. Very special
and tender that I have that gift to rely on.
A
few hours later they eventually took me off of pitocin and had me lay
down. Around 10 in the morning (yes, after a night of no sleep!) they
put me on pitocin again. After only a few minutes I had a series of some
fairly intense contractions, maybe only three or four. After the last
one, I felt the baby sort of jolt down. I knew she was in the birth
canal, coming. I told Sean, “Go get someone! Now, go get a Dr. Tell them
the baby is coming.” Sean honestly seemed a little panicked and
uncertain, like, am I allowed to go in the hallway to find them? He came
back after a few seconds and said there were no nurses at the desk. I
was, probably, yelling at him “Go find someone, now!” He finally tracked
down our nurse and I could tell she totally did not believe me. “Well,
let me just check you.” She checked. High pitched, “Ok!” See, I told
you! “The head is in the birth canal. Let’s turn the pitocin off and get
a dr.” She seemed a bit freaked out as I kept asking “is Dr. Harrison
on her way- she’s going to be so mad at me if she misses this one, too!”
I asked if there was a dr, any dr. on the way , and the nurse told me a
vague answer of well, there are lots of drs here and I said we needed
one soon. Luckily Dr. Harrison was less than 10 minutes away, because
she really only had time to scrub up and then started guiding me with
pushing.
 |
| Perfect. Just perfect. |
I
remember feeling shocked and a little guilty at how little pain there
was and how easy it was (especially compared to the I-would-prefer-death
pain from Damian’s labor). I was sort of in this transcendent state
that was really beautiful. I was confident and knew everything would be
ok. Sean was there, holding my hand. And we had made it to an actual
room in the hospital. I felt that the room was full of angels, and I
don’t mean the NICU staff or the labor nurses or Dr. Harrison. There was
a small crowd of souls there and I could feel their excitement. I felt a
presence guiding me through the pushes. Dr. Harrison would tell me to
push, push, and got a little frantic at one point (Sean told me the
baby’s heart rate was falling a bit), but I just felt calm and followed
the inspiration as it came, when to push and how. And then, in a
beautiful moment she was here. This
beautiful baby that I had sacrificed so much for and worked so hard
for. I was surprised at how big she was and how perfect- a whole entire
month early and so beautiful, so perfect, I kept saying it out loud and
thinking it, just amazed. They let me hold her for not even a minute and
then they took her away to the NICU team in the far corner of the room.
I kept telling Dr. Harrison and the nurses, she’s so perfect, so big,
so beautiful! I watched as Sean took pictures of the baby while they
examined her. His face as she’s born- so amazing. A look of awe,
amazement, and respect for the sacredness of this new life and it’s
arrival.
And
then came the difficulty of being patient. My baby should be with me,
but instead, they have her. I know they need to make sure she’s ok, but
its so hard to not just start shouting at them to give me back my baby.
After about 30 minutes I get to hold her for a minute. But, then I see
Sean, starved, and
know I need to give him his first chance to hold the baby before they
take her away for monitoring. Her breathing was a bit off, but when he
holds her, she is fine. She is perfect. They are perfect together,
father and daughter. Mine. My people together. And then they take her
again, but this time away. Sean, of course, goes with her to protect
her.
I
call my mom and tell her the news. She and grandma were able to come up
within a few hours with lunch for us, which is good because they didn’t
give me enough food to eat at that place. So, I wolfed down a second
lunch of Chinese. Sean came for a little bit to eat. We got an actual
birth weight, 6 lb 3 oz. It took them forever to process her through the
waiting area. Mom and Grandma were able to go see her while she was in
the nursery. I was going insane, basically, at this point. A lot of
internal instinctive mama bear rage of just wanting to hold her. We
finally got her back around 5. So in the first 7 hours of her life I had
only held her for fewer than 5 minutes- that was awful! But, I was so
glad that she was ok and I knew that the hospital people were just doing
their best to do the best for the baby.
 |
| Both exhausted |
When
she finally was brought in I was so happy! Just holding and cuddling,
just amazed at this baby. Because our family was taking care of Jennifer
and Damian Sean was able to stay the two nights in the hospital with
me. We just sort of survived through it- watched a movie or two, cuddled
the baby. Sean
brought me food to supplement the hospital food and changed most of the
diapers. We had a hard time with the name. We really liked Lily, but we
weren’t sure about it. And we really weren’t sure on a middle name.
Sean suggested Marie as a middle name, which we hadn’t even talked about
before and it felt right. I was really honored and it felt really
special since that’s my middle name.
 |
| Checking out of the hospital before the storm |
 |
| Meeting the baby |
We
were worried about making it home before a possible snow/ice storm was
set to hit. She passed all her tests and mom and dad agreed to drop the
kids off at our house. Jennifer and Damian both seemed pretty excited to
meet Lily:)
It
was amazing to give birth a month early and leave on a normal time
table. I was so happy, so relieved to not be on bed rest. We were on top
of the world. Plus, Sean would get a whole month of paternity leave
(which we would wind up using to finish the basement, buy exercise
equipment, a TV, and watch 7 or the 8 Harry Potter movies- yay us!). We
even went out as a family for the first time to celebrate my 27th
birthday- I (along with LIly) bought a bunch of stuff from Ann Taylor
loft- I had some rewards cards from using their store card- while Sean
took Jennifer and Damian to the bookstore. We met up and went to eat at
Ted’s Montana grill. I can’t get enough of the green jalapeno burger,
haha, and then browsed trader joe’s for goodies. Sean and I were so
happy to just spend time together as a family and transition to having
three kids. Life is just really, really good now!"
And more pictures of the other things we'd been up to:)
 |
| Antlers! |
 |
| You can totally wear seer sucker in winter... |
 |
| visiting Grandma's over Christmas |
 |
| Mo & Gma visiting with lunch to keep me from going insane |
 |
| totally at ease |
 |
| Empire bobbleheads from the carpet guy |
 |
| can't get enough antlers |
 |
| this pose worked a lot better the year before... |
 |
| cookies! |

 |
| Bath paint markers...Thanks, Jenny |
 |
| Busted!!! |
 |
| Christmas morning. Tiger! |
 |
| First time putting together Christmas toys |
 |
| Is there more candy in the stockings? |
 |
| 3 girls pose |
 |
| Damian was tired... |
 |
| Uncle Landon's surprise visit |
 |
| Pretending to be Mary |
 |
| Playing with mamma on the couch |
 |
| new hat |
 |
| non-toxic markers to decorate the bus |
 |
| cutie |
 |
| one of my biggest accomplishments before having the baby |
 |
| first time in her cosleeper |
 |
| ultimate swaddler-wrapper |
 |
| Made it home before the snow |
 |
| First morning home |
 |
| Baby and mamma watched from inside |
 |
| Warm and snuggly |
 |
| snowman in the middle upper-right |
 |
| Everybody's tired |
No comments:
Post a Comment